Navigation

PET POISON PREVENTION TIPS

With many common household items toxic to pets, it’s important that pet owners educate themselves to ensure they keep unsafe items out of paw’s reach.

It can happen to even the best pet owners—you turn around for one moment (or accidentally leave medication or chocolate on the counter) and your pet ingests a potentially harmful or fatal pet poison.

As owners, it is vital that you stay up-to-date on the most common pet poisons and educate your self on the importance of pet-poison proofing their homes.

Many items commonly found around our homes can be dangerous to pets, including:

For dogs:

  • Chocolate, particularly bakers and dark chocolate.
  • Xylitol, the sweetener used in sugarless gums and candies, as well as some medications.
  • NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen and naproxen found in products like Advil and Aleve.
  • Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications.
  • Rodenticides (mouse poison).

For cats:

  • Lilies and all plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, Tiger and Asiatic lilies.
  • Household cleaners that are concentrated, such as toilet bowl or drain cleaners.
  • Flea and tick treatments that are created for use on dogs.
  • Antidepressants, such as Cymbalta and Effexor.

For a complete list of pet toxins, visit the Pet Poison Helpline at www.petpoisonhelpline.com. You can also view the Top Toxin Calls State by State as reported by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Pet owners should contact their veterinarian or a pet poison helpline immediately if they suspect their pets have ingested a potentially toxic item.

Speak Your Mind

*